Original Cost: $5.99
- This truck breaks the tradition for the prior year Hess trucks.
- It sports a clean white color scheme reminiscent of the Company’s stores.
- The vehicle is an 18-Wheel Tractor Trailer with three miniature Hess-labeled oil barrels.
- In addition to the headlights and taillights, the truck comes with clearance and running lights.
- Trailer has side sliding cargo doors and a coin slot on top along with fuel tanks on each side of the cab smooth plate look.
- The rear trailer door opens with a red knob to withdraw savings.
- This variation is known as the “Gold Grill” and made in China version and very hard to find.
- During the late 1980s, it seems they had some problems with the chrome process and some of the trucks came out with a gold tone to them.
- The problem was quickly caught and corrected and only a few of these were distributed making them very hard to find.
- Battery compartment is clean and all the lights are in working order.
- The box is mint with bright graphics and complete with both top & bottom inserts.
- Truck measures approximately 14″ in length.
Approximately 90% of the trucks were made in Hong Kong, while only about 10% were made in China, which makes the China version worth more. There were also a small number of “smooth coat” trucks where the chrome doorstep is smooth, rather than the diamond pattern. The serious Hess Truck Collector likes to own all three versions of this truck.
Truck & Box – Mint Condition