Original Cost: $1.39
In 1964 there were actually 3 releases of the popular 1964/65 Hess Tanker Truck. Most people did not know that there was a summer release to see how the trucks would sell and if Hess would even start the toy truck series!
Common 1964 Hess Tanker Version Description:
This truck is an 18-wheel fuel oil tanker in the traditional Hess dark green with white and yellow accents. It has a water tank you can fill with working hose and nozzle, plus working headlights and taillights. The truck is wrapped in tissue paper and comes with a red funnel with the Hess logo on it that sits in a cardboard holder. There is also a battery instruction card that is included with the toy. The Hess logo is on the side and rear of the trailer, as well as on the tractor doors. This tanker can actually be filled with water and then drained from the top hose. The box is a 2 piece style featuring the scene of a refinery and service station. The box top is done in the Hess colors of green, white & yellow. The bottom part of the box is green in color. The same truck was issued in 1965.
There are 2 variations of this Truck:
Sold in 1964 for $1.39 retail. The first variation of this truck which was released on November 15th is the most common version which has the cab molded in green and the fenders are painted yellow (see pic below).
Sold in 1964 for $1.39 retail. The second version of this truck and more difficult to find has the molded yellow cab this time and the green is painted. this was also released on November 15th (see pic below). The truck that started this very popular Hess toy truck collection was based on real Hess tanker-trailers that were used to deliver gasoline to Hess service stations.
The 3rd variation is this 1964 Hess Tanker Truck (pre-release version) Extremely Rare Find!!
Sold in 1964 for $1.29 retail. This version was a Pre-release – test pilot launch of the 1964 Tanker during the summer months. The cab of the truck was molded in yellow and had green painted over the yellow cab area (see pic below).
Some of the pre-release differences are:
- Light green cab and tanker accents. Yellow cab mold with painted green cab.
- Different lighter green removable filler cap that is flat top as opposed to crowned used on newer models.
- The tank to cab hose is smooth and thin rather than ribbed.
- The logo’s are slightly larger and are a sticker rather than the waterslide decals used on later models.
- One screw near the rear wheels on the bottom of the tanker instead of three.
- The truck is designed after the B-Mack tanker and is painted the old company colors of dark green and white with bright yellow accents (see pics).
- It was manufactured in the USA by the Marx Toy Company.
- The funnel & decal, funnel holder are all included. Also included is the usually missing top hose cardboard insert (see pic).
- Measures approximately 12 inches in length.
- Truck is in mint with all original parts (see pics).
- Decals are in excellent condition with slight wear (see pics).
- Battery compartment is clean, lights have been tested and are in working order.
- The top of the box has strong corners with only 1 corner repair but done well it is almost impossible to see.
- Box has bright graphics and one of the nicest to come around in a long time (see pics).
- The bottom of the box also in excellent condition.
- Battery card, rare insert card, advertising card and tissue paper are all in mint condition and included.
Truck & Box – 9.9 Condition
Remember everything on our site is FREE Standard shipping all day everyday!
This is a retirement sale. All sales are final with no returns!
Please Note: Batteries are not included. See our policy on batteries.